2020 DMEC Online Summit Event (January)
Wednesday, January 29, 2020
8:45 am-12:45 pm PT/11:45 am-3:45 pm ET
The DMEC Online Summit Event is a unique fusion of online education and local networking. DMEC will present three of the most highly-rated sessions from the 2019 DMEC Annual Conference, along with live Q & A, in a half-day online event. Attendees will provide networking and viewing opportunities through “hosted group events” for internal teams and/or local peers.
This event is perfect for:
- Anyone who has wanted to attend a DMEC face-to-face conference. You’ll get a chance to participate in top-rated sessions from the 2019 DMEC Annual Conference to see what it’s all about. And you’ll have the opportunity to ask your burning questions of our industry experts.
- Anyone who is looking to connect with local peers and clients. While the education will be offered online, the networking is happening in your local area. Find your local peers and clients, sign up as a group, bring in some food, and utilize the DMEC Online Summit Event Discussion Guide (sent one week prior to the event) to spark conversation and connections.
- Anyone who is looking for a unique training opportunity for leave management staff. The DMEC Online Summit Event offers you a perfect opportunity to provide training (and continuing education) for your whole leave management team. Schedule a conference room and bring in your team for a half-day session of dynamic compliance education.
- Anyone who missed a session or wants to revisit the education from this year’s annual conference. If you attended the 2019 DMEC Annual Conference, but didn’t get a chance to attend all the sessions or want to revisit some of the topics covered, this is your chance. You can also register your group and share a taste of the education you experienced at the conference with them.
DMEC members received discounted registration for the event. Log into your DMEC account prior to registering for discounted pricing.
Hosted Group Events
Attend the DMEC Online Summit Event with local peers/clients or your internal absence management team! The DMEC Online Summit Event Group Hosting Guide offers recommendations and tips to effectively organize your “hosted group event” and create the best networking and viewing opportunities for your attendees.
Here’s a quick look at our 10 steps for group hosting success:
- Designate a group leader.
- Purchase your group registration.
- Select and secure your location.
- Confirm your technology.
- Invite your colleagues, peers, and clients.
- Bring in some food.
- Plan for discussion.
- Ask questions during the event.
- Complete group CEU tracking.
- Keep the conversation going.
Registered groups will also receive the DMEC Online Summit Event Discussion Guide one (1) week prior to the event to facilitate conversation & discussion during the event.
Welcome & Introduction
Kristin Jones, Education Manager, DMEC
Terri L. Rhodes, CEO, DMEC
8:45-9:00 am PT/11:45 am-12:00 pm ET
We’ll kick off the DMEC Online Summit Event and share how you and your group can take advantage of our multi-media online platform during the event.
Mental Health at Work: An Employer’s First Year of Program Development
Jenny Haykin, MA, CRC, Integrated Leaves & Accommodations Program Manager, Puget Sound Energy
9:00-10:00 am PT/12:00-1:00 pm ET
Mental health support is available through medical insurance, employee assistance programs, and other resources, but many employees in need do not access services. After a year of researching mental health offerings available to employers, Puget Sound Energy (PSE) began a journey to expand mental health awareness, education, and access for their employees. During this session, the decision-making process for PSE will be covered, along with the customized program, including communications and training, that was developed to foster an environment where both knowing about and accessing resources is the “norm” rather than the exception.
Please note: This session does not qualify for CLMS CEUs.
10:00-10:15 am PT/1:00-1:15 pm ET
Staying Out of the Doghouse: Addressing Employee Service Animal Requests
Joanne Lambert, JD, Office Managing Principal, Jackson Lewis PC
10:15-11:15 am PT/1:15-2:15 pm ET
Service animal accommodation requests are on the rise. The myriad issues surrounding these requests increasingly hound HR professionals who must balance the needs of those who have requested the accommodations, and other employees who may or may not feel comfortable around animals. In this session, we will cover these topics and more, with an eye toward keeping you out of the doghouse.
11:15-11:30 am PT/2:15-2:30 pm ET
FMLA/ADA Lessons Learned: Recent Court Cases, Jury Verdicts, and Settlements
Megan Holstein, JD, SVP Absence and Claims Management, FINEOS
Marjory D. Robertson, JD, AVP & Senior Counsel, Sun Life Financial Services Company, Inc
11:30 am-12:30 pm PT/ 2:30-3:30 pm ET
Hundreds of court decisions interpreting employer obligations under the ADA and the FMLA are decided each year as well as frequent jury verdicts and settlements of ADA and FMLA claims. In this session, we will discuss key verdicts and settlements, and advise employers about the “do’s” and “don’ts” with regard to ADA/FMLA compliance challenges. Learn what makes courts and juries sympathetic to employers
and what does not. Explore how to improve your policies, practices, and processes for handling ADA accommodation issues to help avoid liability, and how to ensure you are up to date in this hotly-litigated area.
Closing & CEU Submission
Kristin Jones, Education Manager, DMEC
12:30-12:45 PT/3:30-3:45 pm ET
We’ll wrap up the DMEC Online Summit Event, share information about continuing education credits for the event, and allow groups time to enter their list of attendees who participated.
DMEC has applied for continuing education units (CEUs) for the following certifications and professional designations. The full event qualifies for three (3) CEUs.
- Associate Disability Management Specialist (ADMS)
- Certified Case Manager (CCM)
- Certified Case Management Professional (CCMP)
- Certified Disability Management Specialist (CDMS)
- Certified Leave Management Specialist (CLMS) – qualifies for two (2) CEUs only
- Certified Professional Disability Management (CPDM)
- Professional/Senior Professional in HR (PHR/SPHR)
- SHRM Certified Professional/Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP)
For CEU Credit As An Individual:
You must attend the full event to receive three (3) CEUs. Following the event and once attendance has been confirmed, you will receive an email with a certificate of attendance and CEU submission instructions.
For CEU Credit As A Group:
At the conclusion of the event and once full credit has been earned, the group leader can open the “Group Viewing Form” in the Certification widget. On the form, the group leader will be able to add contact information for attendees who watched the event and want to earn continuing education credit. Certificates of attendance, along with CEU submission instructions, will be emailed to the individuals following the event.
|Individual – Member||$65|
|Individual – Nonmember||$95|
|Group (One Company; One Location) – Member||$325|
|Group (One Company; One Location) – Nonmember||$475|
|Group (One Company; Unlimited Remote Staff) – Member||$700|
|Group (One Company; Unlimited Remote Staff) – Nonmember||$950|
|Group (One Company; Unlimited Locations) – Member||$1,500|
|Group (One Company; Unlimited Locations) – Nonmember||$2,100|
If your organization would like to host group events in multiple locations, you will need to purchase the unlimited locations group package. Each location must have a designated group leader. If your organization has one main location as well as remote staff who would like to participate, you will need to select the unlimited remote staff group package. Refunds are not available for this event.
DMEC members receive discounted registration for the event. Not sure if your organization is a member? Use our online form to verify membership and sign up as an individual under your company’s membership.