2019 DMEC Online Summit Event
Wednesday, August 28
8:45 am-12:45 pm PT/11:45-3:45 pm ET
The 2019 DMEC Summit Event is a unique fusion of online education and local networking. DMEC will present three of the most highly-rated sessions from the 2019 DMEC FMLA/ADA Employer Compliance Conference, along with live Q & A, in a half-day online event. Attendees will provide networking and viewing opportunities through “hosted group events” for internal teams and/or local peers.
This event is perfect for:
- Anyone who has wanted to attend a DMEC face-to-face conference. You’ll get a chance to participate in top-rated sessions, including a general session, a concurrent session, and a preconference session, from the 2019 DMEC Compliance Conference to see what it’s all about. And you’ll have the opportunity to ask your burning questions of our compliance experts.
- Anyone who is looking to connect with local peers and clients. While the education will be offered online, the networking is happening in your local area. Find your local peers and clients, sign up as a group, bring in some food, and utilize the DMEC Online Summit Event Discussion Guide (sent one week prior to the event) to spark conversation and connections.
- Anyone who is looking for a unique training opportunity for leave management staff. The 2019 DMEC Online Summit Event offers you a perfect opportunity to provide training (and continuing education) for your whole leave management team. Schedule a conference room and bring in your team for a half-day session of dynamic compliance education.
- Anyone who missed a session or wants to revisit the education from this year’s compliance conference. If you attended the 2019 DMEC Compliance Conference, but didn’t get a chance to attend all the sessions or want to revisit some of the topics covered, this is your chance. You can also register your group and share a taste of the education you experienced at the conference with them.
DMEC members received discounted registration for the event. Log into your DMEC account prior to registering for discounted pricing.
Hosted Group Events
Attend the 2019 DMEC Online Summit Event with local peers/clients or your internal absence management team! The DMEC Online Summit Event Group Hosting Guide offers recommendations and tips to effectively organize your “hosted group event” and create the best networking and viewing opportunities for your attendees.
Here’s a quick look at our 10 steps for group hosting success:
- Designate a group leader.
- Purchase your group registration.
- Select and secure your location.
- Confirm your technology.
- Invite your colleagues, peers, and clients.
- Bring in some food.
- Plan for discussion.
- Ask questions during the event.
- Complete group CEU tracking.
- Keep the conversation going.
Registered groups will also receive the DMEC Online Summit Event Discussion Guide one (1) week prior to the event to facilitate conversation & discussion during the event.
Welcome & Introduction
Terri L. Rhodes, CEO, DMEC
Kristin Jones, Education Manager, DMEC
8:45-9:00 am PT/11:45 am-12:00 pm ET
We’ll kick off the first-ever DMEC Online Summit Event and share how you and your group can take advantage of our new, multi-media online platform during the event.
The Answer Is No! Say “No” Legally and Effectively
Jaclyn L. Kugell, JD, Partner, Morgan, Brown and Joy, LLP
9:00-10:00 am PT/12:00-1:00 pm ET
Sometimes it feels like we have to say “yes” to any request for a leave of absence or accommodation regardless of the business case or the situation. The truth is, sometimes it is ok to say “no.” This session will review and study various cases in which the courts have said that the circumstances justified the employer’s refusal to grant a leave of absence or reasonable accommodation. Come and understand not only when it is ok to say no, but how to legally and effectively do so.
10:00-10:15 am PT/1:00-1:15 pm ET
50 Shades of FMLA: Dealing with Those Gray Areas
Marti Cardi, Esq, Vice President – Product Compliance, Matrix Absence Management, Inc
Jeff Nowak, JD, Shareholder, Littler Mendelson PC
10:15-11:15 am PT/1:15-2:15 pm ET
The FMLA regulations are long and detailed — and yet, there are many unanswered questions around FMLA requests and leaves. The DOL provides limited guidance for items not already nailed down in the regulations. So, what is an employer to do? In this session, two FMLA experts will discuss some of the FMLA gray areas that plague employers, provide recommended practices, and tie those recommendations to the regulations, case law, and sometimes even logic! Head-scratching issues like variable schedules and calculation of leave, managing intermittent frequency and duration, a spouse’s concurrent request for time off, denied vacation requests, and more coincidences will all be covered.
11:15-11:30 am PT/2:15-2:30 pm ET
What Do Employers Do When the Disability Interactive Process Isn’t So Interactive
Rachel A. Shaw, MBA, President, Shaw HR Consulting, Inc
11:30 am-12:30 pm PT/ 2:30-3:30 pm ET
This solutions-focused presentation will address the realities of what employers can do when employees are unwilling or unable to fully participate in the disability interactive process. This session will expertly guide you through how to ensure your interactive process has the tools needed to stay in control and manage your disability compliance obligations and your business!
Kristin Jones, Education Manager, DMEC
We’ll wrap up the DMEC Online Summit Event and share information about continuing education credits for the event.
DMEC has applied for continuing education units (CEUs) for the following certifications and professional designations. The full event qualifies for three (3) CEUs.
- Certified Case Manager (CCM)
- Certified Disability Management Specialist (CDMS)
- Certified Leave Management Specialist (CLMS)
- Certified Professional Disability Management (CPDM)
- Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC)
- Professional/Senior Professional in HR (PHR/SPHR)
- SHRM Certified Professional/Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP)
For CEU Credit As An Individual:
You must attend the full event to receive three (3) CEUs. Following the event and once attendance has been confirmed, you will receive an email with a certificate of attendance and CEU submission instructions.
For CEU Credit As A Group:
At the conclusion of the event and once full credit has been earned, the group leader can open the “Group Viewing Form” in the Certification widget. On the form, the group leader will be able to add contact information for attendees who watched the event and want to earn continuing education credit. Certificates of attendance, along with CEU submission instructions, will be emailed to the individuals following the event.
|Individual – Member||$65|
|Individual – Nonmember||$95|
|Group (Any Size Per Location) – Member||$325|
|Group (Any Size Per Location) – Nonmember||$425|
If your organization has multiple locations, you will need to purchase a group registration for each location. Each location must have a designated group leader purchase the registration. Refunds are not available for this event.
DMEC members receive discounted registration for the event. Not sure if your organization is a member? Use our online form to verify membership and sign up as an individual under your company’s membership.